||[Sep. 4th, 2003|01:32 am]
http://www.nummymuffincocoabutter.com/nummy/vault/shows/nmcbTuscaloosa9_04_03.mp3I'm currently listening to the Tuscaloosa edition of Nummy Muffin. What a surreal experience! And since I recorded, it you can too: |
Anyways, back to the hiking. Originally the plan was for Kareem and I to do the whole 15 miles, but due to some miscommunication, we got a late start and acquired Eric.
My previous excursions to the Greenbelt have all resulted in blisters, sore muscles, and horrible chafing in the legs. This time I was bound and determined that none of this would happen.
Among my attempts to forestall pain and discomfort:
- "New Skin", this stuff you paint onto the bottom of your feet to prevent blisters
- new hiking shoes that supposedly don't require much break-in
- polyester t-shirt to keep moisture off the body
- bicycle shorts to prevent chafing
- hiking shorts to keep cool
- vaseline to help with chafing
- wool socks
- lots of powerbars/beef jerky/granola bars
- 6 bottles of water.
- 6 bottles of frozen water
- an iron-clad will.
- -40 pounds
It seemed to work. At the end of it all, my legs were a little sore. That seems to have been the only side-effect.