||[Aug. 22nd, 2006|01:28 pm]
As you probably surmised from my recent posts, I'm back from San Francisco.
There's too much to cover for an in-depth post, so instead, it's lists:
touristy things done
improv things done
- rode the cable car
- visited Fisherman's Warf
- went to the Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)
- went to the Legion of Honor (art museum with lots of european art)
- went to the Cartoon Art Museum
- went to the Exploratorium
- toured the Scharffen Berger Chocolate Factory in Berkeley
- toured the Basic Brown Bear Factory
- went to City Lights, a bookstore that played a central role in the whole Beat Poet thing.
food consumed (highlights)
- attended an awful improv jam and watch an awful sketch show
- attended the sweet Johnstone workshop/intensive, the purpose of the trip
- saw "True Fiction", an improv show at Bats. It was really good.
- loaned out hotel room to the "Improvised Film Project", a 3,2,1 Kill!-esque show.
- awesome Indian food at Nann & Curry
- the best Italian food I've had in the US at Mona Lisa's in Little Italy
- lots and lots of Magners Cider at "The Irish House", a pub near our hotel. Magners is the name given to Bulmers here in the US. It's a cider that could be found everywhere while I was in Ireland.
- brown bread at the same pub
- loads of saltwater taffy from Pier 39
- chowder in a bread bowl
- Scharffen Berger chocolate, in a variety of forms
- book of interviews with Chuck Jones
- book of beat poetry
- too many socks from The Sock Market
- helping a couple of random guys on the street move a piano several blocks
- getting off a the wrong bustop and getting to play in the beach for a while
- wandering into the Tenderloin district on accident, and surviving
- watching the sea lions on Pier 39 alternately fight for territory or sleep, depending on their moods.
- hanging out with the Leading Brands and Improv for Evil and Andy
- seeing HJ and Lauren and Bonnie
- accidentally stumbling across Lark in the Morning, a bad-ass music shop that specializes in Irish type instruments, and is the place that I ordered my first concertina from.
- finding out Tarantulas on a Hovercraft won the "audience favorite" award in the Blanks on a Blank competition.
- learning how to properly play the Hat game, and the point of it.
- hanging out with Craig Clevenger and Caty
- taking public transportation everywhere- the BART, the cable cars, the railcars, the buses.
- seeing a Sam Shepherd play